The block on which Braeside Homestead is situated was taken up in 1869, during the opening of large tracts of Rosenthal run to selection in the late 1860s and early 1870s. The homestead itself was established in the mid-1870s. From 1879 to 1901, Queensland pastoralist, politician and businessman William Allan developed the property as a model stud farm. It is not certain who named the property, but by 1887, Braeside was identified in the local electoral roll as both the grazing property and a locality.

In purchasing Braeside, a well-watered grazing property on the southern Darling Downs, from FH Needham in 1879, Allan was able to concentrate on stock breeding and improvement, developing the property as a model stud farm, his pastoral headquarters, and his family’s permanent place of residence. At Braeside, Allan established a purebred Hereford Cattle Stud and bred black Merino and Lincoln sheep, the wool selling well on the London market. He took a great interest in developing the stud, keeping detailed herd books. His bulls had a reputation for hardiness and longevity and were in demand with graziers. Braeside Stud was sufficiently significant to Queensland to be featured in the Department of Agriculture’s Queensland Agricultural Journal of September 1899. At this time, the property totalled about 12,000 acres and included Mount Crystal. The Hereford cattle stud numbered over 1,000, all descended from high-class imported English stock. In addition, there was a fine Jersey dairy herd at Braeside and some cropping for home consumption on the creek flats. The house was set amid extensive gardens and an orchard.

The original 4 room house forms the heart of the homestead, which was extended on a number of occasions over the next 50 years or so. 

The last major extension occurred in 2012 and is known as the Braeside Residence. This is the sandstone building to the immediate north of the old homestead.

Hand cut iron bark slab walls and shingles are still intact and are on display in the cut out windows in the lounge room and Governor’s bar.

The Braeside Cottage was originally the kitchen wing of the homestead before being relocated to its current position to serve as a managers’ residence in the early 1950’s.

Falling into disrepair and almost derelict between the 1950’s and late 1990’s, Heritage listed Braeside has been fully restored to its original grandeur and serves as a permanent memorial to Australia’s fascinating colonial history.

Featured properties